SpotLight: Karen Nakamura (the student)

Karen Nakamura. Class of 2023 studying Mechanical Engineering. 

Interesting Tidbit: “Knowing the Professor Karen Nakamura through this lab has probably helped ease the awkwardness of having to tell her about all the mistaken emails I get from students and faculty that were meant for her.”

How did you hear about the lab?

I found it in the list of URAP labs, and it piqued my interest. 

What made you want to join?

Developing technology has always been an interest of mine, with my past experience in robotics and as a mechanical engineering major. What made this lab especially unique was that it was for the disabled communities, which was new and intriguing for me. 

What project have you enjoyed the most?

I most enjoyed the sense-able computing project. Developing a method to ease the learning of programming for blind beginners was an incredible and valuable project, and I had an engaging and fun time researching, designing, and manufacturing our prototype.

What project are you working on now. What’s your role? 

I am currently working on the RAMP project. I’m specifically the manager of the data and research team, which aims to gather information and resources for other teams within RAMP to use and implement.

Future vision for lab. 

I’d love to eventually see our project products implemented by people and organizations outside of our lab. 

Anything you want to share about the lab

We have a universally adored lab buddy who we don’t get to see much anymore in the virtual setting: Karen’s service dog Momo! 

Published by